Improved products and services at the Chair
By applying the following approaches:
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA). Analysis of the potential environmental impacts of a product or service throughout its life cycle, following internationally recognised ISO 14040 and ISO 14044 standards
- Life Cycle Costing (LCC). Complementing an LCA, an LCC summarises all the associated costs over the course of a product's life cycle for each and every actor involved, including externalities which are foreseen to be internalised in the decision-relevant future
- (Social Life Cycle Assessment, S-LCA). Together with an LCA, an S-LCA is a method that can be used to assess the social and sociological aspects of products, their actual and potential positive as well as negative impacts throughout their life cycle
- Ecodesign. Introduction of environmental criteria in the product or services development process, aimed at minimising its impact throughout its life cycle
- Eco-innovation. A new commercial approach promoting sustainability throughout the product’s life cycle, while boosting the company's performance and competitiveness
- Green public procurement. Green purchasing by developing and implementing environmental criteria for the public procurement of products or services
- Circular economy. Measuring circularity and promoting different circularity options for companies and products
In 2010 the UNESCO Chair in Life Cycle and Climate Change ESCI-UPF teamed up with the Grup Igualada Recerca (GIR) research group at the Igualada School of Engineering (EEI-UPC) to set up a technological spin-off, Cyclus Vitae Solutions, S.L. Headed by Dr Pere Fullana i Palmer, director of the Chair, the spin-off shares ESCI-UPF’s mission to provide practical solutions to meet the demands of public and private institutions, businesses, universities and other technology centres.
The spin-off is an innovative service-based company that advises companies on how to minimise their environmental impact and how to incorporate social and economic aspects into their activity in keeping with a more sustainable vision. It offers innovative solutions based on a life cycle perspective and draws on the experience acquired over the years by Chair’s researchers in the field of making products and processes more environmentally sustainable. The Chair’s research projects feed directly into the spin-off’s consultancy projects.
- Experience in ecodesign, Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), calculation of carbon footprint, ecolabels and environmental communication
- An innovative edge, as part of the leading scientific communities and by carrying out ambitious European projects
- Pulling power, thanks to its permanent dialogue with state, business and civil organisations
- An international scope to find global solutions
- Experience and commitment to clients through solid partnerships
Since it was set up, Cyclus has carried out a number of outstanding projects, including designing an LCA for Granic® plastic products (plastic compounds and mineral masterbatches) produced at their Barcelona plant and calculating the carbon footprint of products which went on to win an Ecodesign Award from the Catalan Waste Agency. Its experience and versatility enable it to provide innovative technological solutions as a key strategic partner. For more information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.