The UNESCO Chair in Life Cycle and Climate Change ESCI-UPF offers a range of courses, both at ESCI-UPF and in company, on making products more environmentally sustainable. The content and length of training session can be adjusted to meet participants’ demands.
- Life Cycle Assessment (LCA): introductory and advanced training in LCA methodology
- Ecodesign: general concepts and practical application of ecological design through environmental analysis and by implementing ecodesign strategies
- Environmental Products Declarations: environmental information on products using environmental labels
- Circular economy: theoretical and applied courses on putting the circular economy into practice
- Green Public Procurement: green purchasing by developing and implementing environmental criteria for procuring products and services
- Greening Events: general concepts and practical applications for reducing the environmental impact of events
The Chair runs several workshops on environmental improvement of products, both at ESCI-UPF and in company, on making products more environmentally sustainable. These include Introduction to Life Cycle Assessment (LCA), Advanced Life Cycle Assessment Course, Introduction to Ecodesign, Environmental Communication of Products and Services, and Introduction to GaBi LCA Software, among others.
The need to communicate environmental impacts through Environmental Product Declarations has grown tremendously since the introduction of the EU-wide Integrated Product Policy (IPP).
- Development of criteria for ecolabels: definition of rules for awarding Type I and Type II ecolabels
- Environmental Product Declarations (EPDs): development of Type III ecolabels and product category rules
- Product Environmental Footprint (PEF): development of a multi-indicator measure of impacts to identify trade-offs and make better strategic decisions
- Carbon and water footprints: development of methodology and Product Category Rules (PCRs)